08 June 2010

Reflection Inspiration

I told my girlfriend, Jillian, the other day that I think I have a mirror in every room.  She said, "I like mirrors.  But I don't want people to think I am narcissistic."
I know I have this one here, where we eat.  But believe me...I sit where I cannot see myself while eating.  I really do not have them in my home for checking appearances.  At all!

I use them because of what Suzanne Kasler said:  "Mirrors are like adding water to a room."  Isn't that beautiful?  If you can't cut open a new window or bring in the trees from outside, at least you can reflect the sun and see beautiful images of the trees.
image:  Traditional Home

This picture from Ally Wentworth's home is the inspiration for for our stairwell.

here is the view to the left of it...(see I need a large, chunky piece of furniture under the Sandra Pratt picture (copy from Ballard's...not original).  I found a beautiful, light gray Swedish console which would be perfect here at Bungalow Classic.  Maybe for Christmas?

Here is one picture of how brightly the mirrors will reflect the sun here!  I attempted to put mirrors with varying colors of frames.  It just didn't work with the room.  I am now keeping all the mirrors' frames in the white family.  (My husband will be so surprised I chose white:)

Most of the white mirrors I have found at Homegoods (love Homegoods!), yard sales, antique shops, and Ballards.  I do have two coming from Recycled Brooklyn on Etsy.  (The craftsman lives in an industrial part of Brooklyn and he "upcycles" in Etsy speak materials from worksites.  He is a superb carpenter.  He needs a refresher course in shipping.  He is great, though, and is now shipping me two!"

I can't wait to show you how it turns out when we hang them this weekend.  All the best...Julie

Oh, and I leave you with one more mirror from our home:

Do you think my visitors will think I love my image too much....or that I just love light & decor?  Can you have too many mirrors?

9 comments:

  1. I love that last shot of your house!! Perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not at all narcissistic. I'm of the school of thought that it adds light and space to every room - I have mirrors everywhere and I hope people don't think it's too much :)

    Also love the sky blue zebra on those chairs in your LR!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on the mirrors, I have them everywhere too! I don't think you can have enough mirrors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh - I just found your blog from Appletree's! You have a gorgeous house and I am soooo jealous!!
    I love mirrors too, and I don't really think they make you look vain. I look at them as artwork that will go with anything. And I love how they can open up a space.

    Love your blog and am looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have an obsession with mirrors, too and I feared ppl would think it was really an obsession with myself. I think it is because I have always lived in tiny spaces and i was trying to open up the rooms. Love your blog! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love mirrors too. I love the way they look and how they reflect the light.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love mirrors, too. And don't really think of them as anything besides a part of the decor!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found this post! I knew we were kindred spirits. I have more mirrors than almost anything in my house. I especially love antiqued mirrors that are smoky and have lost some of the reflective surface. The mirror in your kitchen is THE BEST and when I saw it, I said to myself, 'I'm gonna like this gal...'

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your sunburst mirror in the dining room. Can you provide me with a source? Thank you and love your house.

    ReplyDelete